“Need road side assistance? See your school counselor!”
School Counseling Program
Summer Record, M.Ed.
Albion School Counselor
How does a student see a counselor?
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
- Teacher/staff referral
- Referral by friend
- Request of Counselor
Elementary School Counselors Help...
- Children develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- Children cope with family changes.
- Children develop decision making and problem solving skills.
- Children develop socially and emotionally to mature in their relations with others.
- Children to understand themselves in relation to their own development.
- Parents understand their children's emotions, behaviors, and learning styles, and assist them in meeting their child's needs.
- School staff, teachers, and administrators understand and meet the needs of all students in intellectual, personal, social, and emotional areas.
- Parents and teachers create a positive learning environment.
The Goal of School Counseling Programs:
To promote and enhance student learning through three broad areas:
1. Academic Development
2. Career Development
3. Personal/Social Development
Components of School Counseling Programs
- Counseling (individual, small group, large group)
- Consultation (parents, teachers, support staff)
- Coordination (liason between teachers, parents, support personnel, and community resources)
- Case Management (monitor student's progress)
- Evaluation and development (assess, evaluate, and identify needs of students and programs)
Privacy and confidentiality are essential to having an effective school counseling program. Albion Elementary School recognizes the importance of good communication and good working relationships between students, parents, and the school. Therefore, every effort will be made to protect student and parent privacy rights except under certain limited conditions. These conditions generally inlcude safety issues (harm to self and/or others), legal issues, and professional responsibilities (see the American School Counselor Association Ethical Standards for School Counselors at www.schoolcounselor.org
Summer M. Record is a professional school counselor. She holds a master's degree in counseling from the Univeristy of Maine at Orono and a bachelor's degree in child development. Mrs. Record is available Monday thru Thursday by appointment.